Synopsis: Anna-Marie McLemore sits down to discuss her debut Young Adult novel The Weight of Feathers and its forthcoming follow-up When the Moon Was Ours. Many important topics are discussed, including the current state of diversity in fiction, the process and fears of writing characters of different cultures and identities, and whether authors should write outside their own identities.
In honor of my recent trip to Austin, TX, links to all books discussed in this episode will go to the BookPeople bookstore, the largest independent bookstore in Texas.
This episode of COVERED is sponsored by:
Nacht Sound Engineering: Streamline the process of delivering high-quality shows to your audience and focus on what you love.
Feedpress: Blog and podcast analytics starting at $4 a month, podcast hosting starting at just $8 a month. Use promo code COVERED to get 10% off your first year.
Present: Harry C. Marks, Anna-Marie McLemore
- Episode S2E10: Anna-Marie McLemore (mp3)
- Contact your hosts for show feedback
- Show your support and donate to our podcast
- If I Was Your Girl by Meredith Russo
- Books by Nicky Grimes
- Written in the Stars by Aisha Saeed
- The Chance You Won’t Return by Annie Cardi
- Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel
- The Little Prince Antoine de Saint-Exupery
- A Tyranny of Petticoats by Jessica Spotswood
- Only Love Can Break Your Heart by Ed Tarkington
- Passing by Nella Larsen
- Books by Isabel Allende
- Wild Swans by Jessica Spotswood
- Cahill Witch Chronicles by Jessica Spotswood
- Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Anne Fowler
- “The World Of Children’s Books Is Still Very White” by Amy Rothschild | FiveThirtyEight, March 2015
- “Where is the Diversity in Publishing?” by Mallory Ortberg | The Toast, January 2016
- COVERED S2E8 – Ed Tarkington
Follow your host and the show on Twitter
Subscribe to Covered!
Support the show!
Please take a moment to rate our show in iTunes, even if it’s just a star rating. It really does make a difference in helping us reach a wider audience.
Download: Episode S2E10: Anna-Marie McLemore