Synopsis: It’s our season 2 finale and to celebrate, we’ve got TWO – count ’em, TWO! – special guests. From the Erasable podcast, we welcome Andy Welfle and Johnny Gamber to the show to discuss Mark Kurlansky’s book, Paper: Paging Through History. We discuss whether technology changes society, digital vs. analog, the role of handwriting in today’s society, how paper has been used to spread information and incite dissent, and the future of paper in an increasingly digital world.
Links to all books discussed in this episode (where possible) will go to Watchung Booksellers, a wonderful local independent bookstore in my home state of New Jersey.
This episode of COVERED is sponsored by:
Nacht Sound Engineering: Streamline the process of delivering high-quality shows to your audience and focus on what you love.
Feedpress: Blog and podcast analytics starting at $4 a month, podcast hosting starting at just $8 a month. Use promo code COVERED to get 10% off your first year.
Present: Harry C. Marks, Andy Welfle, Johnny Gamber
- Episode S2E14: COVERED Book Club #2 – PAPER by Mark Kurlansky, feat. Andy Welfle and Johnny Gamber (mp3)
- Contact your hosts for show feedback
- Show your support and donate to our podcast
Books and Materials Discussed
- Erasable Episode 41: Hitting the Marks (Not Literally)
- Field Notes “Byline” Reporter’s Notebook
- Palomino Blackwing 602
- Write Notepads & Co. Reporter’s Pad
- Zen Mind, Beginner’s Mind by Shunryu Suzuki
- Books on the Nightstand Podcast
- Rules for a Knight by Ethan Hawke
- The Book of Strange New Things by Michel Faber
- Maps and Legends: Reading and Writing Along the Borderlands by Michael Chabon
- Washington by Ron Chernow
- Quiet: The Power of Introverts by Susan Cain
- Smarter Faster Better by Charles Duhigg
- Revolutionary Summer by Joseph Ellis
- So You’ve Been Publicly Shamed by Jon Ronson
- The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo
- COVERED Book Club #1 with special guest Ann Kingman
Follow your host and the show on Twitter
Subscribe to Covered!
Subscribe to AFTERWORD: A COVERED Newsletter for info on upcoming episodes, book recommendations, and links of interest for readers and writers!
Support the show!
Please take a moment to rate our show in iTunes, even if it’s just a star rating. It really does make a difference in helping us reach a wider audience.