Synopsis: Welcome to season 3 of COVERED! We kick things off with an interview with someone changing the landscape of book reviews and word-of-mouth sales, Uli Beutter Cohen of Subway Book Review. Uli braves the New York City subway system and talks with its riders to talk about the books they’re reading, what they think so far, and how those books have influenced their lives. On this episode, Uli discusses how Subway Book Review got its start, why New York is the most literary city on Earth, and what it means to interact with everyday people in a society increasingly moving inward.
Links to all books discussed in this episode (where possible) will go to Short Stories Community Book Hub in Madison, NJ. Support your local independent bookseller today!
This episode of COVERED is sponsored by:
Nacht Sound Engineering: Streamline the process of delivering high-quality shows to your audience and focus on what you love.
Feedpress: Blog and podcast analytics starting at $4 a month, podcast hosting starting at just $8 a month. Use promo code COVERED to get 10% off your first year.
Present: Harry C. Marks, Uli Beutter Cohen
- Episode S3E1: Uli Beutter Cohen of Subway Book Review (mp3)
- Contact your hosts for show feedback
- Show your support and donate to our podcast
Books and Articles Discussed
- The Hunger Games: Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
- The Yoga of Max’s Discontent by Karan Bajaj
- Bright Lines by Tanwi Nandini Islam
- Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler
- Shrill by Lindy West
- We Have Never Been Modern by Bruno Latour
- Strategy: A History by Lawrence Freedman
- The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
- A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara
- *Washington: A Biography by Ron Chernow
- The Girls by Emma Cline
- The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead
- Everybody Behaves Badly by Lesley M.M. Bloom
- The House at the Edge of Night by Catherine Banner
- Confessions of an Art Addict by Peggy Guggenheim
- The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls
- The Midnight Watch by David Dyer
- The Novel Cure by Ella Berthoud and Susan Elderkin
- A Burglar’s Guide to the City by Geoff Manaugh
Follow your host and the show on Twitter
Subscribe to Covered!
Subscribe to AFTERWORD: A COVERED Newsletter for info on upcoming episodes, book recommendations, and links of interest for readers and writers!
Support the show!
Please take a moment to rate our show in iTunes, even if it’s just a star rating. It really does make a difference in helping us reach a wider audience.