Synopsis: This week on “Learn Me Something,” Aaron and Rich delve into what eSports are, its long history, and why it’s so lucrative. Can you really make a full-time living as a career gamer?
The first eSports event happened all the way back in the October of 1972 at Stamford University where students competed on the video game Spacewar. The grand prize for the winner was a year long subscription to the Rolling Stones magazine. However, it wasn’t until 1980 whereby the first video game competition was held. The Space Invaders Championship had a great attendance of 10,000 participants and received widespread media attention since Space Invaders (the game of the tournament) was a household name at that point of time.
Present: Aaron Stewart, Rich Plumb
- The History and Evolution of Esports
- Twin Galaxies
- Esports Earnings
- Best esports games in 2018
- ‘Super Bowl of esports’ coming to Vancouver this summer
- Overwatch backers push pro video games as big-league esports spectacle
- Epic Games announces $100 million prize pool for upcoming Fortnite season
Follow your hosts, guests, and the show on Twitter
- @LMSPodcast on Twitter
- Learn Me Something on Facebook
- @HologramRadio for updates on other interesting podcasts
Subscribe to Learn Me Something!
Download: Episode 55: eSports