Synopsis: This week on “Learn Me Something,” Aaron and Rich receive one of their most challenging and perhaps controversial topics yet–gender identiy (thanks to producer, Alex Knight). How does modern science define gender identity? What explanations are there for why the human brain may differ in those that do not simply identify as either male or female? Studies are ongoing, but there is a surprising amount of knowledge available now from recent research.
To be yourself in a world that is trying to make you something else is the greatest achievement. –Ralph Waldo Emerson
Present: Aaron Stewart, Rich Plumb
- Non-binary gender description
- Two-Spirit Community
- Xenogender definition
- Hegira (disambiguation)
- The difference between sexual orientation and gender identity
- Seven Other States Are Considering Restricting Bathrooms For Transgender People
- Some of the world’s least progressive countries recognize transgender citizens. The US does not
- Is There Something Unique about the Transgender Brain?
- How to Shift Anti-Transgender Attitudes
- Why Heteronormativity Is a Bad Thing
- This Documentary Shows How Gender Identity Goes Beyond ‘Boys’ and ‘Girls’
- Does Adding ‘Genderqueer’ to the Dictionary Make It ‘Real’?
Follow your hosts, guests, and the show on Twitter
- @LMSPodcast on Twitter
- Learn Me Something on Facebook
- @HologramRadio for updates on other interesting podcasts
Subscribe to Learn Me Something!
Download: Episode 14: Gender Identity