Synopsis: This week on “Learn Me Something,” Aaron and Rich delve into how psilocybin “magic” mushrooms work.
By now, it’s pretty clear that psilocybin, the active compound in “magic mushrooms” has a potent effect on human beings. But psychedelic visions obviously weren’t the evolutionary force that caused some fungi to make the compound — it’s an unforeseen side effect.
Present: Aaron Stewart, Rich Plumb
- How Magic Mushrooms Work
- Why Did Magic Mushrooms Evolve ‘Magic’?
- Magic mushrooms take a trip into clinical trials
- Research Shows Magic Mushrooms Can Offer Real Benefits in Depression Therapy
- Peter Thiel is betting on magic mushrooms to treat depression — and he’s not the only one
- Why psychedelics like magic mushrooms kill the ego and fundamentally transform the brain
- Heffter Research Institute
- Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS)
- Beckley Foundation
- Usona Institute
Follow your hosts, guests, and the show on Twitter
- @LMSPodcast on Twitter
- Learn Me Something on Facebook
- @HologramRadio for updates on other interesting podcasts