Synopsis: This week on “Learn Me Something,” Aaron and Rich delve into the timely, yet regrettably horrifying topic of sexual assault. Where does it come from? What perpetuates it? When you look at statistics, the number of people who experience sexual assault is staggering, and often times the act is committed by someone close to you. In this episode, Rich and Aaron unpack this seemingly unsurmountable and insidious problem in society.
How many women are affected? A recent large-scale study surveying 42,000 women found that up to 21% of women in the EU had experienced sexual harassment in the preceding 12 months. Estimates for the UK were higher at 25%. According to the General Social Survey on Canadians’ Safety (Victimization), there were 22 incidents of sexual assault for every 1,000 Canadians aged 15 and older in 2014. This represented approximately 636,000 self-reported incidents of sexual assault. Of every 100 incidents of sexual assault, only 6 are reported to the police.
Present: Aaron Stewart, Rich Plumb
- A secret process allows Congress to cover up its sexual assaults
- NBC may have lied about covering up sexual harassment allegations against Matt Lauer for years
- Sexual Harassment
- Why do universities cover up high-profile harassment? Look for the money
- Priest sex abuse and Hollywood sexual harassment scandals: Cultures of cover-up, cruelty and corruption
- Young women reported Larry Nassar for decades. No one took them seriously — until now.
- Out of Balance: An IndyStar investigation into USA Gymnastics
- Child Sexual Assault in Afghanistan: Implementation of the Leahy Laws and Reports of Assault by Afghan Security Forces
- These women made you understand what Larry Nassar did to them
- U.S. Soldiers Told to Ignore Sexual Abuse of Boys by Afghan Allies
- Bacha bazi
- False Reports: Moving Beyond the Issue to Successfully Investigate and Prosecute Non-Stranger Sexual Assault
- Sexual Assault Statistics in Canada
Follow your hosts, guests, and the show on Twitter
- @LMSPodcast on Twitter
- Learn Me Something on Facebook
- @HologramRadio for updates on other interesting podcasts
Subscribe to Learn Me Something!
Download: Episode 38: Sexual Assault