The Know Nothings
Synopsis: This week on “Learn Me Something,” Aaron and Rich delve into the “Know Nothing” political movement. The Native American Party, renamed the American Party in 1855 and commonly known as the Know Nothing movement, was an American nativist political party that operated nationally in the mid-1850s.
Those debates and regulations continue today, over refugees from the Middle East and immigrants from Latin America. Phillips’s conclusion is that those bewildered by current political affairs simply haven’t looked far enough back into history. One can’t possibly make sense of current events unless you know something about nativism,’ he says. “That requires you to go back in time to the Know Nothings. You have to realize the context is different, but the themes are consistent. The actors are still the same, but with different names.
Make sure to signup for Audible today to get your FREE audio book and 30-day trial.
Present: Aaron Stewart, Rich Plumb
- Getting to know the Know-Nothings
- How the 19th-Century Know Nothing Party Reshaped American Politics
- President Dumb and Dumber
- Know-Nothings for the 21st Century
- Donald Trump and the “Know-Nothing” movement
Follow your hosts, guests, and the show on Twitter
- @LMSPodcast on Twitter
- Learn Me Something on Facebook
- @HologramRadio for updates on other interesting podcasts
Subscribe to Learn Me Something!
- Get Learn Me Something on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Stitcher, TuneIn, RadioPublic, or via RSS.
Download: Episode 65: The Know Nothings