Synopsis: This week on the podcast, Michael and Alex dive deeper into the topic of dark patterns. Dark Patterns are tricks used in websites and apps that make you buy or sign up for things that you didn’t mean to. Although many companies employee these unsavoury techniques, Facebook has come under fire lately for doing this, which strikes us as odd, especially right after the Cambridge Analytica fiasco.
Present: Michael Norton, Alex Knight
- Dark Patterns are designed to trick you (and they’re all over the Web)
- How Dark Patterns Trick You Online
- Facebook face-recognition error looks awkward ahead of GDPR
- Facebook Is Using Dark Patterns To Undermine EU Privacy Rules
- Facebook still claims it’s not a publisher – but Martin Lewis’s court action could be set to change that
Follow your hosts, guests, and the show on Twitter
Subscribe to The Impromptu!
Download: Episode 134: Dark Patterns