I chat with television writer and producer Richard Manning about fountain pens and ask him novice questions. Science fiction and fantasy geeks may recognize Manning’s name from his work on Farscape, Star Trek: The Next Generation, TekWar, Sliders, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Exosquad, and more. In this episode he reveals which TV star inspired him to buy his first fancy fountain pen, which pens are his current favorites, and where you can find all the info you need to get started with fountain pen nerditry.
Present: K. Tempest Bradford.
Subscribe to The Write Gear!
- Montblanc Meisterstuck 145 Classique “Chopin” — This is the exact Montblanc pen he owns, but the company no longer makes it.
- Pelikan M250 clear demonstrator — See the ink as you draw it in!
- Pelikan M200 Demonstrator Fountain Pen — Slightly less expensive similar pen
- TWBSI Eco — Richard’s current go-to fountain pen
- Noodler’s Inks: Navy, Dragon’s Napalm, Black Swan in Australian Roses
More Fountain Pens
- Pilot Varsity — Inexpensive and easy to find.
- Platinum Preppy — Tempest’s Gear!
- Noodler’s Nib Creaper — Flexible nib pen
- Noodler’s Ink website
- A Month of Letters: Reds and Yellow and Blues, Oh My! — A blog post that dives deep into fountain pen inks
Fountain Pen Geekitude
Support Tempest, Get Cool Stuff
Pledge just $1 per month at Tempest’s Patreon page and get access to podcast extras, such as bits of the interview not in the regular episodes. Pledge more and get access to more rewards!